Thursday, April 1, 2010

allowances

i'm looking for some feedback, here. i have been pondering allowances for some time and i don't know what i want to do about it. i want the kids to have an allowance purely for the sake of being able to pay tithing on a regular basis. here's the dilemma: i don't like the idea of paying them to do their regular chores - i think that chores should just be a part of living in our home. however, i don't want them to get an allowance for no reason - i think they should earn it, just like you have to out in the working world. actually, i wouldn't give an allowance at all except for the reason stated above: i want them to be able to pay tithing on a regular basis, not just when they get birthday money.

so, i'm looking for ideas. what do you do (or have you done) in your family and why? if you do allowances, how is it set up? also, are there stipulations on how they spend or save their money? the last thing i want is for these kids to spend their money on trinkets or candy even though it IS their money.

i would appreciate your input. thanks!

4 comments:

Nuttall said...

Cory and I had this same quandry when our kids were young. We never ended up giving the kids an allowance. I think it was partly because we couldn't come up with a plan that we liked. I do remember giving them a penny a piece for dandelions that they would pick in the yard. :) They loved it. Anyway, in hind sight, I don't think it mattered that they didn't pay tithing when they were young. I thought it would, but I don't think it did. We had talked about tithing a lot through the years and they understood the principle well. When they were oldr and making money, it was easy for them to do and it didn't seem to matter that they had not done it much when they were younger. I think they are learning the importance of paying tithing through watching you and that it will be very natural for them when they have the opportunity to earn money when they are older.
Denise

shannon said...

i guess i wouldn't be so concerned about the kids paying tithing while young except that maria really wants to.

i think what we may end up doing is just involving her more in the process of paying our tithing and letting her pick one of the extra donations (temple, book of mormon, missionary, etc.) to donate a few extra dollars to each time. that way, she could feel more involved, but we don't have to be giving her any sort of allowance.

any other ideas?

Nuttall said...

I have heard of some people giving an "allowance" of sorts for extra work--things done above and beyond the normal household chores and yard work. I don't particularly like the idea because I think those things should also be done without the expectation of some kind of monetary reward, but it's just another idea.

~Kimberly

shannon said...

ya, ethan and i thought about that, but were worried that the kids would then expect payment for anything other than the usual chore.