we made salsa!

the kids learned that making salsa is messy, but not very hard.

maria passed the peeled tomatoes to hudson . . .

who chopped them, then put them in a bowl so libby . . .

could stir the tomatoes together with the red onion.

maria saw the juice from the tomatoes and came up with a great idea. "hey, we could filter it and make tomato juice!"

just as maria suggested, we added salt and a pinch of sugar.

and tomato juice was enjoyed by all.


we added garlic, green and red pepper, salt, lime juice, and spices. hudson smelled the salsa then said, "ugh, it smells yucky, like something that's good for you're body."

everyone else enjoyed it.

including lincoln.

now that's dipping (he is holding a chip).
while we were chopping, i explained to the children that autumn is the perfect time to make salsa, picking your tomatoes just before the frost gets to them. maria thought that was a great autumn tradition. she exclaimed that she wanted to do this every year. as i think back, i realize i have made salsa almost every fall ethan and i have been married. we didn't grow a garden this year so i don't have enough tomatoes to bottle salsa, but thanks to a generous neighbor, we have enough salsa to last a little while.

salsa. a wonderful autumn tradition.
3 comments:
Oh yum. I'm going to plant tomatoes next year!
Good job letting your kiddos help you make it. I know how "helpful" it is to have little hands in the kitchen. You are a great Mom.
The salsa looked yummy and good for your body, right up until I saw Lincoln's hand in it. Oh well, I guess that adds flavor and possibly texture! I'm sure that process took a lot more patience than the excellent pictures showed. Way to go family!!!
That looks so tasty! What a fun mom you are.
Post a Comment