Our camera is broken. I apologize for the lack of cute-faced children on my recent posts. Hopefully we can get a new one soon.
In the meantime, I thought I'd entertain you by posting pictures of the kids sleeping in funny ways that Ethan and I have taken over the last year.
And writing on a topic completely unrelated to children sleeping in funny ways.
 |
| 1. Sleeping in a shelf in the closet. |
I was reading in section 93 of the Doctrine and Covenants the other day. A couple of verses stuck out to me.
 |
| 2. Sleeping with your lovey on your face. |
Verse 40: "But I have commanded you to bring up your children in light and truth."
Verse 53: "And, verily I say unto you, that it is my will that you should hasten to translate my scriptures, and to obtain a knowledge of history, and of countries, and of kingdoms, of laws of God and man, and all this for the salvation of Zion. Amen."
 |
| 3. Sleeping in a laundry basket on a chair. |
These verses got me thinking about our homeschool and what kind of things I'm teaching. It's always good to reevaluate and refocus on the priorities and what exactly those priorities are.
 |
| 4. Sleeping like you're maxin' and relaxin'. |
Hear is a list of priorities I came up with in that moment, and I realize some of them run together. It's a list in progress:
- Teach my children light and truth.
- Teach them the gospel principles.
- Help them obtain a knowledge of history and countries.
- Teach them to understand the laws of God and man.
- Teach them to understand the Constitution of the United States.
 |
| 5. Sleeping on a computer chair. |
I have some idea of how to implement these priorities in our daily homeschool, but I know I have some readers that homeschool and I want to know what they do to teach these things.
 |
| 6. Sleeping with a book in your hand. |
So hear is my question for you, my wonderful readers, whether you homeschool or not: What topics are priorities to you in teaching your children and how do you teach them?
 |
| 7. Sleeping with a book on your face. |
I particularly want you to think about the scripture that says to teach them "light and truth". What does that mean and how would you teach it?
I don't care if the answers are long. In fact, I hope they are.
1 comment:
I have been thinking about this lately too. I have been planning on putting together an entire years worth of curriculum using the constitution, and US history. Included of course would be a study of the states. As I do this I am hoping to gear all spelling words, geography etc. off the topic at hand. Granted it will look slightly different for each child and their level of understanding and skill levels. I think this topic is so important. We find multiple scriptures on government, the importance of the United States etc. in the scriptures. THere is a great book called The Majesty of Gods Law and it disects the law of Moses. I plan on using that as well. Scripture and secular go hand in hand to establish real and lasting truth!
Post a Comment